Sunday, June 29, 2014

Motivation to push on...

Cross posted on BROL

Many thanks for the words of encouragement and support along the way and now that I'm back at home. It did, does, mean a lot to me.
My learning curve was steep and slow as I'm very much a rookie at this thing.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and I thought about this a lot on the road, is the continuing motivation to be competitive in this long a race.
I always wanted to finish respectably in the race as in the top 1/3rd or so... but when the top 10 riders...the Italian group, Mike, Edward, Jason and a few others...have got a gap on of at least a 1,000 miles...do you knock yourself out and miss a lot of "America and its fine people" to finish 13th rather than in 16th position?
I've been texting w/"RN" the last few days...a young strong rider in the race that I somehow managed to be competitive with at least for the first 1100 miles or so...and noticed he hadn't been moving down course for a long, long time period. I'm talking for about a day or so.
He texted back to say, and I'm paraphrasing here, that the "gap is so big" that he was enjoying himself a bit off the bike.
My point...

My "Big Calorie" breakfast stop about an hour after the climb out of White bird, Idaho. This fine lady I met allowed me to join her for breakfast. We had a great time and she told me her life story. I got pretty good at just listening to people and keeping my mouth shut though hard to imagine.
I couldn't eat it all and so I got a 'doggie bag' for the rest and she took it home literally for her dogs.
She also shared she has a pet bull elk. She said, and I do forget her name, that the bull elk was very happy when Fish and Game dropped off two females on her acreage:)



No comments:

Post a Comment