Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21st...Monday. A sub 5 hour century

First of all...I mistakenly, or forgetfully, left home w/o my helmet or gloves and didn't miss them for the first 56 miles. Go figure?
      Today was the first day in a number of weeks that I actually felt good. No stomach ache...yeah...first in weeks, and only a headache up until the time I left on the ride.
      So...around noon today I decided I wanted to ride a Century or more. Five Cliff bars, four Cytomax filled water bottles, shorts and sandals I headed off. Went out the door at nearly 1pm. Before 6pm I had my 100 miles completed and when I reached home I had ridden 113 miles total which is the most I can remember on two wheels in about 15 years.
      My chosen course was the TransAm race route from my home, across the valley floor, and then heading upstream next to the McKenzie River. The course actually comes within 4 miles of my front door :). Road condition is about 1/2 chip seal with finely ground pebbles everywhere and 1/2 smooth surface. Picked up a light rain on the return home as well as some crosswind for a bit.  I think accidentally negating the helmet gave me a slightly faster speed.
      Nutrition wise I amazed myself. 1 1/2 Cliff bars and three bottles of Cytomax was it for the 113 miles. What helped were fresh legs and liver full of glycogen. Energy wise, I pushed it a little harder than planned avg around 125 HR though rarely getting it over 132. Knees are a little sore so will back off X-seam about 1/4 inch. After I got home,  I immediately chugged a big class of chocolate milk and then weighed myself. I was at a post ride weight of 158lbs.  When I left the house earlier I weighed 159lbs.

Stats:
First 100 miles in 4:45:00 w/21.0 mph avg.
Total miles at 113 w/21.0 mph avg. as well.

       A good ride. Am glad I didn't extend the ride as it was only when I arrived home and started to hop in the shower that my uncontrollable shaking started up from being too cold. Case in point. An hour from home I rode thru Harrisburg where the clock/temp sign indicated it was 51F. Remember...I was not wearing a hat/helmet, I'm bald, I was in shorts with a thin long sleeve jersey, no gloves, wearing sandals and thin socks, and it was raining lightly. Like I said, glad I kept the ride short.

2 comments:

  1. The ride doesn't sound that short dad! Good work. Just repeat that ride 30 times and you'll be on the E Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! Keep it up.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete