Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28th...Monday...Back to riding.

Less than six weeks till race day...June 7th.
From here on out things start getting real serious.


Back on the bike for 42.5 miles today up and over Decker Road. Didn't push the pace much today as primary goal was checking out the improvements I'd made to the bike. More on that below.
Funy thing with today's ride. At times felt very sluggish and at other times felt rather fast. I did notice...and I'm not sure why...that my heart rate(HR) was elevated as high as 151 today. However, my perceived exertion was just normal and not near my FTP. Can't quite figure out what's toing on here.

Here's what I learned from today's ride:
      Do everything possible to reduce weight of bike.
      Tilt fairing more vertically with tail sock rear strut raised as well. Only want my head sticking out and          not my neck for more speed. I think today's ride had it a bit too low for maximum speed(51mph today).       Was hoping to go faster especially in light of the full rear disc wheel cover. It didn't happen.
      Comfort trumps speed. Willl replace cobra seat w/ Koolback tomorrow.
      Wear glasses and not contacts. Was riding partially blinded in my right eye due to dust. Painful.
      NO REAR DISC COVER. I made one more shot at running it today. Would drive me nuts rattling around.
      Take the bare minimum supplies/clothing. Keep it simple and light.
      Drop  tire pressure to 90 lbs for Kojac and 100 lbs for  Durano.
      Consider leaving kickstand off as it's 1.7lbs.
      That's about it.
Riding?
I've got 30 days of training before I taper. I plan to get in at least 50 miles tomorrow though easy miles.
Wednesday is a big training day as I plan to  ride all day at my easy race pace, un supported, to see how everything works out as well as how far I'm able to ride. Btw...I now have good lights at both ends.
Cheers
John
      
      

2 comments:

  1. John, I taped my Aerojacket wheel covers to my rims with electrical tape and they are much quieter. I cleaned the rim with alcohol first and the tape is holding well so far.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, Greg. I tried the electrical tape fastening procedure out yesterday with good success.

    ReplyDelete