Thursday, April 3, 2014

April 2nd...Wednesday...a visit to the doctor

A random picture, and nothing to do with cycling, of my son and I at the gravesite of Dian Fossey of "Gorilla's in the Mist" fame. My son, Tim, and I had hiked about three hours to reach this spot at an altitude of nearly 10,000'. Yet, being practically on the top of the equator, it was rather cool to say the least. In my ride across the U.S., I'll be running a fund raising banner to finish up a well project bringing fresh clean water to a small village. FWIW, I spent a full month in Rwanda during October 2012 where it left a big impact on me.


Cyclying? 
I'm sounding like a really old man as I'm reporting on my visit to the GP for my general level of fatigue. I felt good amidst all the excitement at LCVMG this past weekend so go figure ;)
Doctor said he'd run a blood test for low ferritin(iron) and check for low hemocrit, RBC's, and hemoglobin levels. Btw...I'm writing this Thursday afternoon as I waited for the test results to show up.

Got the results online this morning and everything looks good, blood wise, so suspect, and the doc agrees, that  I'm feeling the residual effects of tapering off/quitting my pain meds this past week or so. AYK, I had rotator cuff surgery on January 16th of this year and they say it's a rather painful ordeal to go through though nothing like cancer treament and beyond. Anyway, I was on pain meds for a bit and they are difficult to quit.

So here's what the doctor thinks based on his experience. The pain meds were "masking" the fatigue I was experiencing throughout my High Intensity Training starting on February 1st.  I dug a 'deep fatigue hole' that's going to take a while for me to climb out of. And that's where I'm at at this point. So light riding the rest of this week, trainer or otherwise, and then hopefully back at it next week full tilt! Time will tell.

Back to Africa:
Here's a pic...below...of where Tim and I spent several nights while in Musanze, Rwanda. It's Team Rwanda's national training facility run by the famous Jock Boyer...winner of RAAM and the first American to ride in the Tour de France. We got to know Jock as I brought over with me three repaired carbon frames from Craig Calfee to return to Team Rwanda. The view? The volcano in the background is where the above photo was taken. It's home to the Mountain Gorillas. It's an amazing place and even more beautiful in person.


A pic from last weekend's rally.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like you really enjoyed your trip to Africa. The photos look great. Anyway, I'm glad you got your test results back. It looks like everything is going fine. Thank God! Don't you tire yourself out too much, so don't your condition won't worsen. Rest and do light cycling for a while. I hope you feel better soon. Take care!

    Aubrey Holloway @ Primary Care Associates

    ReplyDelete