Monday, April 14, 2014

April13th...Sunday...61 miles

      A good ride today over a near identical course to yesterday's ride. A totall of 60.66 miles in 3:03:00
for a 20.0 mph avg according to my bike computer. I'm pleased with my performance today as seem to have made a good recovery from the day before. This puts me around 290 miles for the week which is a good start.
      Also good to note, today's Bellfountain/Decker Road route has 2000+ feet of climbing. I had wind. And  I managed to keep my heart rate under 135 bpm for 99% of the ride. And I avg. 20mph which included some bike path time, and very slow stop and go traffic. With those eliminated, my actual avg was closer to 22mph+.
Wheels?
      I'm having second thoughts, though, about running an AeroJacket disc on the rear for the race as suggested by several other well-known cyclists. Reasons:

1. Safety. The sock can be folded up and tucked up in the windscreen during severe cross-wind encounters. The disc cannot. Unless I pull the cogset and throw the disc away...I'm stuck with it.
2. Speed? Under the right conditions, it'll bump my speed up a notch. Under other conditions, depending on the wind direction, it could slow me down slightly. Also, on my infamous coastdown hill, I've managed to go practically just as fast with it off...51mph...as with it on...52mph.
3. Tire changes. Under some situations, if it takes longer to change a tire due to the disc thats time that's hard to make up.
4. The AeroJacket adds a pound...454 grams...to the weight of the bike. Note, by replacing my front 451mm Aerospoke w/a light but strong conventional wheel, and by ditching the Aerojacket, I've just taken two lbs of weight, rotating at that, off the bike. That's nearly a 1000grams.
      Pacing? My pacing/heart-rate was taken up a notch today w/an average HR near 125bpm. It was fine for today's ride but factoring in a lot of variables, I think my body would be much better off with
taking it down to a 110-112 cruising HR and a 125-127 climbing HR for the race. I'm concerned that the higher HR, though sustainable for many hours, would result in too much liver and muscle glycogen depletion making it most difficult the 2nd day. My goal is to clear the Rockies in the top 1/2 of the racers and then use the next thousand miles or so of flats/winds/crosswinds etc. to gradually move up in placement.
      What I need to remember is that some racers will be riding 20hours a day with only 3-4 hours sleep. I can't get discouraged when they're covering 250+ miles a day but must ride my own race.

Tips:
Breaks are minimal. Don't linger in a diner somewhere.
Always keep moving down course
Don't take unnecessary chances.
Don't ride when really sleepy. Exhausted...perhaps. But not sleepy.
Be aware that heavy fatigue makes for bad choices.

Stats:
Distance: 60.6 miles
Time: 3:03:00
Climbing: 2000' +
Avg speed: 20.0mph





No comments:

Post a Comment