Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March 26th thru April 1st. Not much training but....

A short post today as not much to report other than a great weekend at the Left Coast Velomobile Gathering in Los Osos, California. Craig and Vicky Johnson were once again great host with a real gift of hospitality extended to all. I was fortunate enough to be a guest in their lovely home for three days/nights. Talk about making you feel welcome. They're the best!

No stats to report other than a combined total of 100 miles of riding with 17 velomobiles on the beautiful California Coast. I spent the better part of each day giving chase on my Carbent to Greg, Steve, Craig, John Abbey, Taylor, as well as many new friends. My style was to charge the climbs and try to stay in contact on the descents and across the flats. I say "try". With some riders/velo combinations, it was impossible. With others, I held my own. A great workout!

Was it worth the 1600 miles of driving to ride two days? In a word, yes. It was particularly rewarding in the renewing of old friendships that I'd made during ROAM in 2011. I'm thinking of life-long type of friendships when I say that. Too much fun as well as a few serious moments and discussions. Good stuff going on.

The last seven days?
Sunday: Dog dies. Wife leaves one hour later for San Francisco
Monday: 40 mile ride. Two flats. Tired and a little down
Tuesday: Brother and his wife arrive for visit on way down from Seattle. Spend the night.
Wednesday: Mid day...Ian Hoffman arrives for three hour visit on his way down south. Clean house as
around 5pm my wife is expected to arrive from San Francisco. 
Thursday: Out of country company, Steve, arrives from Vancouver, B.C. in the afternoon. Preparations made for trip south. Got to bed real early.
Friday: 2am, Steve and I leave for Los Osos, California, and drive 800 miles arriving at 4pm
Saturday/Sunday: I ride 60 and 40 miles respectively in the velomobile rally
Monday: Leave Los Osos at 4am and drive the 800 miles home arriving at 8pm. I'm tired.

A few pics...




No comments:

Post a Comment