Thursday, May 1, 2014

April 30th...Wednesday...225 mile day.



      I don't know where this 'summer thing' came from but it was definitely  on the toasty side for this guy. Mid to upper 80's around 4pm or so.
Anyway, left the house around 5:45 am this morning and rolled back in at 8:00pm. A long day on the bike at least for this guy. My destination was Clear Lake about 100 miles east of here. I did have my fair share of heat to battle in the afternoon and the last 38 miles found me battling strong headwinds coming across the valley floor. What normally would take less than three hours riding time...Walterville to home...took four hours yesterday. 

Stats:

Distance: 363 kms(225 miles)
Rolling time: 12:13:49
Rolling avg: 29.6 kph(18.4mph)
Total time: 14:20:00

Observations:

       A saddle sore. Can't have it during the race as too painful and figety on bike seat. Need to explore options as definitely a deal breaker if I can' resolve it. Will order new bike shorts today and maybe consider a lambs wool seat pad.
       Bike felt sluggish today perhaps because it weighed 48 lbs fueled up going out the door. 
       The rear disc was so quiet I didn't notice it was back there but, to save a pound and prevent crosswind issues, will try running  without it. 
        My feeding tray was too far out of reach to make it easily accesible so will remove from water bottle cages and fabricate a new one today out of coroplast. It will replace the bottle cages currently there.
      Headlight worked fine shining thru fairing. Tail light was on all day. I like that.

      Route: Same as ACA and TransAm route for the most part. Once I left the valley floor I followed the McKenzie River Hwy which, although not hilly, had it's share of ups and downs not to mention some serious truck traffic. In addition to gradually heading 'up', I frequently found myself with a headwind and/or crosswind for approximately 50 miles. On the return, at least to Walterville, it was appreciated.
      Like I mentioned above, it took 4 hours to make the final 58 mile run home which included a beverage stop and time off the bike 8 miles from home in a county park. It seemed my chest was tight and breathing not particulary easy so laid down on a park picnic table for a while. Took off my HR  chest strap which helped a bit as well.

Food?
I know I didn't eat/drink enough and am still down 5lbs from yesterday morning. My "goto" food source was actually milk. A quart of chocolate and a nearly a quart of whole milk.

Solid food?
Two small $1 bean/cheese burritos deep fried about 125 miles into the ride.
A handful of Fig Newtons
About two ounces of Lay's potato chips
One small cup pudding...100 calories
One soft drink w/lots of ice
One bottle of ice cold tomatoe juice
One  "5 Hour Energy" bottle
One large can of carbonated grape juice which I didn't like.
I'm writing this Thursday morning and have only had milk, and a milk shake, to drink since yesterday.
I have no appetite which is not good for riding longer distances.

I actuallly think my body...stomach...does much better on less food rather than more food. Other than feeling a bit fatigued today, and a sore bum, it was a good day. Btw...this was the furthest I'd ever cycled non-supported by myself...ever.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one dad - tho it sounds like your diet could stand for improvement. Let me know if you need a nutritional consultant. I know a good one.

    ReplyDelete