Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 21st...

Was supposed to be a quick ride down and back to Coburg at 75 miles for the round trip.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, flated again on new Durano on the front. Less than 90 miles on the tire, on good pavement, a pin hole leak in the tube though it immediately began to "hiss", but the side wall and tread ahad a resultant tear 1/3" long. Totally unacceptable quality especially for a $40 tire which seems to be the acerage price these days. Anyway, but a boot in the tire and road back against a nasty headwind for almost the next two hours. Did I say I couldn't run more than 30psi due to fear of the the tire casing ripping.
Well...my order from TerraCycle came in today and the new tires/tube look fantastic. Willl need to order another Ultremo 451 as backup though. Thanks TC!
Also, my new Javelin aerohelmet from Performance came in. Looks wild...fits good an comfortable.
Btw...while I was down in Coburg, just north iof Eugene eight miles or so, I made a reservation at the RV Park...$18 for the night of June 7th. This means I'm planning on completing the full 233 miles the first day and will have a shower waiting for me. Also, Mc Donald's is close by...great $1 menue...as well as a nice 24 hr truck stop restaurant. So I'm comitted for at least 233 miles God willing. God Willing is how I look at this whole race thing as we have absolutely no guarantee we'll even be here tomorrow. None. Read the news and you'll see what I mean. No guarantee. Everyday is a gift from God. Period.

75 miles for the afternnon ride and a hard 38 miles on the way back home due to poor road surface, for the most part, strong headwinds, and 30psi in a 100psi tire. It's alll good :)

Here's a pic of the helmet below. I got solid white to reflect the heat and to attract driver's attention perhaps a bit more with the shininess. I'll try it out to see how comfortable it is on a hot day. Will possibly carry two helmets though prefer not to. Also, the helmet should prevent sunburn on my baldhead through the otherwise cooling vents. Anyway, it sure looks fast.

1 comment:

  1. McDonald's and a truck stop diner?

    If you expect to be able to perform at your optimal levels, you need to be fueling your body with foods that will support it. McDonald's and gross food fried in rancid oil will deplete your body of minerals rather than help restore the ones you've lost.

    When it comes to food, just ask yourself WWCE? What Would Coco Eat? The answer: not that crap.

    :)

    ReplyDelete