Thursday, May 8, 2014

May 7th...a rest day

Worked around the house...
Btw...my one pound goose down sleeping bag arrived!
Will order Tyvek today to make a bivy sack.
Also, my "Rocketman" embroidered 100% Merino wool short/llong sleeve jerseys arrived.


Chances are I'll be shipping home the long sleeve jersey once I'm done with the Rockies.
My weight is down more than 10lbs since Christmas and holding steady at 158lbs. which, incidentally is the lowest I've been since 1971. Fortunately, most of my mass is in my leg muscles;)
I'd work out the upper body but everytime I do I start packing on the weight so, for now, I'll deal with a slight upper body which is a far cry from my 335 lb. bench pressing days of college.
  





   



4 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    how about a post describing how you plan on handling the logistics of sleeping, eating on the road, etc. I see you're going to have a bivy sack. Does this mean you will be doing some stealth camping (the vicarious adventurer in me hopes so)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logistics? Good point, Randy. I'll address that on Friday's blog entry.

    And...yes, I'm be prepared to sleep in a ditch if need be unless I'm in bear country. Ask my wife what I dream about when I've had a nightmare and I'll guarantee her first response will be "bears". In my earlier years as an animal keeper with the Los Angeles Zoo, I had several close calls with bears ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking strong dad! Will you be wearing your rwanda jersey at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm debating whether to take it or not as weight is a factor. One of the other racers I've been following, The Brit...'Edwardpickup.com'...has his total ride package down to 8lbs for everything. But, to answer your question...I'll probably take it just because ;)

    ReplyDelete