Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Tuesday...May 6th...A totally different day. Thanks Randy!

     I received an email from my internet friend, Randy, who's been around the block a few times when it comes to recumbent racing, training, and nutrition. He's one of the few guys I listen to these days on training advice. Thanks my friend:)
In a nutshell:
      From Randy's perspective I've come to this decision. 
suspect I've been running low on electrolyte levels much of my training time. Why? Unexplained tachycardia, high level of fatigue after a training ride, slow recovery, poor 'electrolyte' nutrition and awareness, etc. 
      My last long ride...this past Wednesday...found me riding 225 miles in heat w/little electrolyte replacement. So, yesterday, taking Randy's suggestion to look at good potassium rich foods, my wife and I made a trip to Costco and picked up a case of V8 mini cans, bananas, apricots, etc.
      So began my quick journey to 'recharge' my low potassium stores via V8's, apricots, bananas, fried potatoes w/beans(last night's dinner), plus other choices.
      Today's ride found me meeting Dave Miller..."Startle"... at Starbucks around 2:30pm. We do that about once a week. Anyway, around 4pm we headed out toward his house in the foothills of the coast range. About 1/2 mile from his home, I broke off and continued on to the community of Bellfountain. The only way to get to Bellfountain is via a lot of climbing. The longest climb today was about ten minutes in the 4-6%
range. Anyway, lots of climbing with some intervals thrown in the mix. I have to say, I felt amazingly strong especially considering I was on a 37lb. bent.
      I did reset my speedo at the turnaround...Bellfountain...and recorded an avg speed of 20mph for 24 miles. I say 24 miles because that's when I flated. Fortunately, it was a slow leak and I was able to limp home having only to pump it up twice. Had only 25psi whenI arrived   home. Surprisingly, it didn't feel that much slower.
     Tires? I'm re-evaluating which tires to run for the race. After changing out the rear flat, I realized that with my rear rim being what it is that it's a real bear to pull/replace the tire! I can see it easily taking 20 minutes on the road which is impossible to make up within the day's riding. BTW...I hate changing tires. Then again, who doesn't.
      I'm taking a good look at running Duranos front and back. I'm running one on the front...451mm... right now and will probably run it during the race. I'm going to pick up a folding 700x28 Durano real soon and give it a go. 
Stats:
69.1 miles
Avg speed: 20mph when sampled for 24 miles. Includes roughly 20 minutes of climbing in the 11mph range.
Energy level: high
Recovery: Excellent! Btw, I'm writing this Wednesday morning.

Weeks mileage round up?
339 miles in past seven days.

1 comment: