Saturday, March 15, 2014

March 13th,14th, 15th...Thursday-Saturday

This past Thursday and Friday I took off from training. Yeah...I felt guilty about it but there's a few
things going on.

1. I'm definitely not feeling 100%, actually pretty crappy, due to coming off my pain meds this week...hydrocodone. I've been on them the past two months since my January 16th surgery. Though I'm tapering and the worst will be over in several more days, it's not what I'd call a fun experience. This is a contributing factor to my 2nd reason below.

2. I didn't feel like suffering w/my Thursday interval workout.

3. Third reason...I knew the forecast for today, Saturday, was for temps in the 60's and dry. I planned to take out the Carbent for my 2nd ride to see if it goes any better than my first ride. This would replace the previous two indoor workouts.

4. Finally, I've been busy chasing parts, literally and figuritively, getting my Gold Rush reassembled so I can start piling up the miles on the road. 

So what's going on with the GR?
The Ultegra crank and new BB are back on w/addition of a 58 chainring. Did I mention I've stripped the frame and polished the bare aluminum?
Yesterday I drove up to Terracycle and picked up 12' of new chain as well as a new TC return idler(ceramic bearings). Pat Franz, owner of TC, loaned me a box of carbon fiber roll ends to use to fabricate my new Rotator fairing. I'll pick up some epoxy resin soon and get started. 
Also, picked up a new XT 11-32 cog set to complete the new drivetrain. In addition, new XT pedals,


new Sram Attack shifters, a new headsett , and really great news...a new carbon fiber fork for the GR compliments of Robert Johnson of Terra Cycle.

My goal w/the GR is a lighter bike. A more reliable bike. A faster bike.
Speaking of lightness...and this is important. I'm down in body weight a solid ten pounds since Christmas. I'm now 158 lbs. first thing in the morning. One trouble that's exasperated by this weight loss is a heightened sensitivity to cold. I'm almost always cold. On today's ride with the Carbent, it was 65 F, some wind, longsleeve jersey, and I about froze my butt off. 

So today I took out the Carbent out on its second ride. My first road ride earlier in the week, if you remember, was disappointing. I felt awkwad and uncomfortable and not particularly fast on it.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A FEW DAYS CAN MAKE!







Today's ride was just the opposite of my earlier ride in the week and I can't explain the "why" of it all. Today...I felt connected to the bike. I felt like I was putting on a good pair of shoes. My aches and pains were minimized. I felt comfortable and I felt fast! The bike just wanted to leap into speed. I easily assaulted hills with speed as opposed to lumbering up the gradient just as I did three months ago with the Gold Rush. The bike felt light and responsive.

Though I didn't get into long sustained climbs I know the Carbent won't be slowing me down. I did


manage some all out VO max intervals. Perhap not three minutes each as in Thursday's training schedule but I did manage to get in at least six explosive speed assults up hills or across the flats.
Compared to riding my GR over the same course three months ago, I was looking at a 20lb reduction in bike/rider weight WITH more power on tap!  A HUGE THANKS goes out to JV for setting me up with a training schedule that works:) JV knows how to train and my results are credited to him directly. My training indoors has definitely transfered to the road. What  I particularly noticed in today's ride was my quick recovery from VO max efforts. I can't wait to mix it up with some of the local riders on the Tuesday/Thursday rides as well as the club rides on Saturday. 

Stats:
Only stat I have is ride was approx. 20 miles
Brisk wind
Time: About an hour



An old, old pic. Believe it or not, I did two double centuries in this configuration.

Below:
Early configuration of my "adjustable-seat-on-the -fly" bent.
In photo, bike is shown with seat in the "up" position.
In seat down, it became a paceline destroyer. A simple yet seriously fast bike!



1 comment:

  1. I always warn my beautiful wife ahead of time when I plan on going off hydrocodone after a surgery. It's a nasty experience to get off the stuff when you've been on it for a couple weeks or more. I know how you feel, take care and ride on!

    ReplyDelete