Saturday, March 22, 2014

March 22nd...Saturday

A beautiful day though it wasn't until later in the afternoon the temp passed the 60F mark.
Took out the Carbent around noon today to start racking up the miles for my endurance training.
Got a late start due to some wheel and tire changes and a flat tire before I left the house. I must be a little on the slow side but figured out that the Carbent's Tufo tires were sewups of sort and they had to go. That took a while.
      The stock front wheel was replaced with a 20-count bladed spoke wheel I had sitting around. in addition, I added my fabric disc wheel cover to the rear to see what affect if any it will have. Perhaps a coastdown test is in order tomorrow down Decker Ridge.
      Wouldn't you know it but during the first 20 miles or so I had a headwind which slowed my forward progress down a good 1-2 mph. As it turned out, I didn't get quite the push I was hoping for on the return trip home.
      The route took me across the valley floor and into the foothills of the coastrange. Did I say there were lots of climbing opportunities throughout the ride? As it turned out, I aggressively attacked at least 50% of all the short climbs...50-200 yards...I encountered. It was a great workout! I hesitated on pushing my average pace past my "race" pace of 125.
      About 3months ago, and prior to my cuff surgery, I took the socked GR out over the same course. It was cold out. I was cold. And I had poor nutrition for the 75mile ride. But my average speed was a respectable 19.5mph! Not bad considering the climbing involved. Compare that with today's average of 17.1mph with the Carbent. So what's going on?
I'm in better shape now. And I have the best climbing bent available. I don't have an answer other than to say the socked Rush must be faster. 

Stats: 
Distance: 81 miles
Time: 4:43:00
Average speed: 17.1mph

No comments:

Post a Comment