Monday, March 17, 2014

March 16th...Sunday

Believe it or not, did some interval training of a different sort.
Our 1+ acre homesite backs up to 300+ acres of fertile farm land and at this time of year  the land is unplowed with this year's crop...mint...bent over for a relatively smooth surface. I had orginally planned to ride with "Startle" today but it was raining in his part of the county and said it's coming my way. So scratch that. Besides, the wind had really picked up and was blowing a steady 18-20mph not exactly ideal for pulling the bent out.

Anyway, I noticed my neighbor was trying to surf his kiteboard w/his 1M kite and it wasn't going to well. I ran out to the field...150yds or so...and offered him the use of my 3M 4-line kite. He took me up on it. To make a long story short, my neighbor got yanked and dragged around in every direction imaginable and I was laughing my head off. After a while I sprinted back to the house in my boots and grabbed a smaller 1.5M I had. Did I mention I like power kites? Had great fun w/smaller kite with caution toward reinjuring my shoulder. I even got airborn once with the smaller kite it was that windy.
Airborn? OK...I got yanked off the ground ever so slightly and put my foot down about 8 feet away.

Workout: darting around the field...sprinting....mulitple times to/from the kite. From the controls to the kite. Back and forth. Yep...sprinting. Felt so good!
I figure at least 5 sprints of 150yds up/down our hill out to the kite flying zone. One slow trip walking back carry Pookie who tried but was too weak to walk on his own. Had great fun and it was cool to notice that my recovery from the sprints was very quick. Winter training pays off! Thanks JV.

Stats: 
Running/sprinting
Total time: est. 12-15 minutes

A very cool and fast racing recumbent...The "NoCom"



I believe this is Thom Ollinger...a legendary recumbent racer.
He's a killer on pacelines!
(Correct me if I got the rider wrong ;)

2 comments:

  1. What a great ripping machine, eh! I hear they're comfortable and stinking fast!
    Have you competed with it in any ultras, Pete?

    ReplyDelete