Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 23rd...Sunday



      It's been a difficult 18hrs. Pookie was having a difficult time last night with major failing health. He quit eating/drinking yesterday afternoon and we suspected he was short on time. Since Carol was leaving  this morning for San Francisco, I decided to sleep on the floor next to Pookie to provide some comfort to him. He was restless much of the night and I woke up on the floor cold, tired, and mentally exhausted. Pookie wasn't doing so good. It is with great sadness that I report he died at 9:30am with his head nestled in the palm of Carol. I buried him shortly thereafter in his special spot picked out on our property. He will be missed...

Today's ride was a recovery ride of  just 20 miles. Route was flat and my HR rarely exceeded 102.
Stats:
Distance: 19.97
Avg speed : 16.4 mph
Avg HR: About 102

Note: Today was the first day in 13 years that I came home after my ride with no Pookie cheerfully greeting me at the door :)  I'll really miss him. I already do.











     
      

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss, John. I'm sure you gave Pookie a happy life (and vice versa). I've got a 15+ year-old cattle dog and I'm dreading the day.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Randy. It's amazing how the little guys tug at your heart. Enjoy the remaining time with your pooch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures dad. He was a great dog.

    ReplyDelete