Sunday, February 2, 2014

February 1st Training

February 1
Today was the first day to ride my new Carbent on the trainer. Having used this same trainer for over twenty years allows me to set up different recumbents in a consistent and accurate way. With the Carbent mounted up on the trainer, I adjusted the boom(pedal distance), head rest, and handlebars to a dialed in position. I noticed the seat seems awfully small and a little stiff. OK...really stiff. I'll have to order a ventisits seat cushion for it tomorrow.
Not long after getting into my warm-up period, I noticed a nagging pain in my upper left shoulder blade. My thinking was this could be a problem...a real problem on any length of ride even on the trainer. A little brainstorming session later, I figured out it was the sling buckle jabbing into my back. Off came the sling..


Here's some basic stats: I realize I'm a bit wordy in today's posting and I assure you this won't be the norm.
Ride video was a "Mallorca" climbing video off  Youtube. I like these videos!
Cooling? I ran our large house fan at high speed today.

*1000 calories at an adjusted 1:02:00
Much of my time was spent at 250+ watts.
My perceived exertion was much less than had I experienced on my lwb bike. Much less!
I double checked that the trainer was adjusted correctly for the 23mm CB tire. It was. Made sure the trainer was engaged. Check. Essentially, the CB feels 15-20% more efficient as illustrated below:

Based on perceived exertion:
160 old watts became 200 new watts.
200 old watts became 235-240,new watts
220 watts became 265-270 new watts
Important note: "old watts" refers to wattage w/Tomahawk lwb mounted up on the trainer.

Perceived exertion is dramatically reduced with CB.
*In all the years of training,  I can' recall coming this close to burning 1000  calories
in an hour. It didn't dawn on me until 49 minutes into my ride that I would be somewhat close
to 1000/hour. The first 10 minutes or so were at an easy warm-up pace to boot.

Interesting note on heart rate:
Whereas a prior 150 HR would rate 'high' on my suffering scale, the 150HR I was sustaining today didn't feel nearly the case. Recovery? Within four minutes my HR was down in the 70 bpm range and I certainly don't feel 'beat-up' today which is the following morning...Feb. 2nd.










No comments:

Post a Comment